True American Rules
What is True American?True American is a game devised by the characters of the Fox sitcom New Girl on an episode titled "Normal".
"Well, it's more like 75 drinking, 20 Candy Land, and by the way the floor is molten lava." - Schmidt
"It's actually 90% drinking and then it's got a loose Candy Land-like structure to it." - Winston
How to Play (New Girl Rules)
Picking TeamsTeams are optional. To pick teams, everyone holds up a random number of fingers against their foreheads. You are teamed up with anyone else that is holding up the same number of fingers as you. Unmatched players can team up as needed.
The CastleThe castle is made up of cans of beer and a bottle of liquor. The bottle of liquor is the king of the castle. The beers are Pawns which are the Soldiers of the Secret Order. The Pawns are lined up in four lines radiating outward from the King.
The LayoutThere are four zones and an alternate zone is a “crazy” zone. There is a trail of chairs, cushions, tables, etc through the zones. The floor is molten lava. You must use these objects to traverse the zones without stepping in the lava. The Castle is in the middle of the zones.
Starting the GameThe game starts with a shotgun tipoff. Then, someone chants “One, two, three, four, JFK!” and all other players yell “FDR!” at which point everyone runs to the center table, grabs a beer and picks the nearest object to stand on.
Game PlayPlayers take turns attempting to earn moves. There are three known actions that can be taken on a turn.
- Guessing a common trait: The player names to people or objects that have something in common. The other players then yell out what is in common. For instance, “Abe Lincoln, George Washington” and “Cherry Tree”. Players who guess correctly drink and move.
- Doing the count: The player counts “one, two, three” and on four, all players put a number on their head similar to how teams are picked. Somehow this leads so someone drinking and moving.
- Completing a quote: The player begins a quote and all other players attmpt to finish the quote. For instance, “The only thing we have to fear is…“ and “fear itself!”. Players who complete the quote correctly drink and move.
Other RulesHere are some other random rules.
- Everything that you hear in True American is a lie.
- When a player finishes their beer, they yell “All trash belongs…” and all other players yell “in the junk yard!” at which point empty cans are thrown into a designated receptacle.
- A player may yell “JFK” at any time at which point everyone must yell “FDR” and finish their beer.
WARNINGConsuming alcohol can be dangerous and drinking games often promote significant consumption. Know your limits. Drink responsibly and legally.
Use caution when setting up your area of play. Alcohol and obstacles can be a dangerous combination. Play at your own risk.