As promised from Volume 1 of my Confessions of a Shopaholic series, here are some of my tips/tricks that have saved me from overwhelming credit card debt, empty bank accounts and depleted RRSP/TFSA savings.
- Carry only cash when shopping. Do not bring your credit/debit cards with you. When you get temped with something more expensive than you can afford you don't have any cards with you to charge with the new purchase that might just make you late on rent...
- Make a monthly budget and budget EXACTLY how much you will allot yourself to spend on new clothing, shoes, make-up... Do not go over this limit
- Take your limit down on your credit cards. Hard to overspend to when you don't have a high credit card limit! Credit cards feel like free money.. but it's not. The interest alone makes me want to shed a tear and I have a GOOD interest rate!
- Make a list of your current "wishes" for clothing, make-up or whatever your poison is. Stick to the list!!!
- Don't stray when you see a sale. It's so so so hard to NOT buy anything at a sale, I know. But those sale items you probably won't like or wear or even want after you purchase them. Even sale items adds up over time.
Those have been my top 5 tips/tricks I have been using to get myself out of debt and out of over buying products.
Life of a fashionista is wonderful, but you don't have to be a bad version of a shopaholic. Be a savvy shopper!
P.S. Does anyone know of any good sales?